Greetings fellow travelers! Dubrovnik, with its stunning coastline, charming countryside, and captivating attractions, is a destination that begs to be explored. And what better way to navigate this picturesque part of Croatia than with your very own rental car?
In this comprehensive guide, I’ll provide you with all the essential information you need for Dubrovnik car hire, from picking up your vehicle at the airport to navigating the city’s unique roadways and parking challenges. So, let’s dive into the world of Dubrovnik car rentals!
Why Rent a Car in Dubrovnik?
Dubrovnik, often referred to as the “Pearl of the Adriatic,” boasts not only a UNESCO World Heritage Site in its Old Town but also a wealth of natural beauty along its coastline and in the surrounding countryside. Renting a car in Dubrovnik offers you:
1. Flexibility and Convenience
With a rental car, you have the flexibility to explore at your own pace, visit hidden gems, and create your own itinerary. Unlike public transportation, you’re not tied to schedules, and you can venture off the beaten path whenever you please.
2. Easy Airport Access
Dubrovnik Airport, situated over 12 miles from the city center, is where your Dubrovnik adventure begins. Car rental agencies like Sixt and Europcar have a presence at the airport, making it convenient to pick up your vehicle upon arrival. This means no need to wait for a taxi or shuttle; you can hit the road right away.
3. Spectacular Coastal Drive
The journey from the airport to Dubrovnik center is a breathtaking coastal drive along the D8 road. This scenic route provides you with stunning views of the Adriatic Sea, setting the stage for an unforgettable experience. You’ll have the freedom to stop at viewpoints and take in the breathtaking vistas along the way, capturing memories that will last a lifetime.
Navigating Dubrovnik by Car
Driving in Dubrovnik comes with its own set of unique challenges, but fear not; I’ve got you covered.
1. Parking Woes
Parking spots in Dubrovnik are a rare find, especially in the Old Town. The city is riddled with one-way roads, adding to the parking challenge. Consider renting a satnav with your vehicle to make maneuvering through the streets more manageable.
Keep in mind that driving within the Old Town is restricted to residents and emergency vehicles, so it’s best to park on the outskirts and explore on foot or by bus.
2. Croatian Road Rules
In Croatia, it’s mandatory to keep your headlights on both day and night. This rule enhances visibility, especially on winding coastal roads. Running a red light by turning right at an intersection is strictly forbidden, and talking on the phone while driving can result in hefty fines.
At intersections without traffic lights, the car on the right has the right of way, except when there’s a “yield” sign for the right side street (indicated by an upside-down triangle).
3. Drive with Caution
While Dubrovnik’s roads are generally well-maintained, be cautious of sharp turns, especially on coastal routes. The region is known for its stunning but challenging terrain, so take your time and enjoy the scenic views safely. Also, watch out for cyclists and pedestrians, particularly in the city center, where narrow streets can get crowded.
Tips for Cost-Saving Car Rentals
As savvy travelers, we always want to get the best value for our money. Here are some tips to keep in mind when renting a car in Dubrovnik:
1. Book in Advance
Plan ahead and book your rental car at least one day before your trip to secure a below-average price. Dubrovnik is a popular tourist destination, so reserving your vehicle early can help you find the best deals.
2. Choose Off-Airport Locations
Off-airport rental car locations in Dubrovnik tend to be around 11% more expensive than airport locations, on average. However, it’s worth checking both options, as prices can vary. Compare rates and pick the most cost-effective choice for your needs.
3. Opt for Mini Cars
Mini rental cars in Dubrovnik are approximately 69% cheaper than other car types, making them a budget-friendly choice. If you’re travelling with a small group or as a couple, a compact car can be both economical and easy to manoeuvre on Dubrovnik’s narrow streets.
4. Cost Comparison
Keep an eye out for deals and compare prices from different rental agencies to find the most economical option for your needs. Websites like RentalCars.com can help you compare rates from various providers, ensuring you get the best value for your money.
Discover Dubrovnik and Beyond
Now that you’ve secured your rental car in Dubrovnik, it’s time to delve into the wonders that this coastal gem and its surrounding areas have to offer. Beyond the ancient city walls and historic Old Town, there’s a wealth of experiences awaiting you.
1. Explore Dubrovnik’s Old Town
Before venturing further, take some time to explore Dubrovnik’s Old Town. Stroll along the marble-paved streets, admire the well-preserved architecture, and soak in the rich history. Highlights within the Old Town include:
- Dubrovnik City Walls: Walk along the iconic city walls for panoramic views of the city and the Adriatic Sea. The walls offer a unique perspective of Dubrovnik’s layout and fortifications.
- Dubrovnik Cathedral: Visit this historic cathedral, known for its Baroque architecture and treasury. Don’t miss the chance to climb to the top for a breathtaking view of the iconic rooftops of Dubrovnik’s Old Town.
- Rector’s Palace: Explore this well-preserved palace, which once served as the seat of the Dubrovnik Republic’s government. The palace now houses a museum showcasing the city’s history.
2. Take a Coastal Drive
One of the perks of having a rental car is the ability to take scenic coastal drives along the Dalmatian coast. As you head out of Dubrovnik, consider these stunning coastal destinations:
- Ston: Located about 55 kilometers northwest of Dubrovnik, Ston is famous for its defensive walls, salt pans, and fresh oysters. Take a leisurely drive along the coastline and enjoy the picturesque views along the way.
- Pelješac Peninsula: Continue your journey to the Pelješac Peninsula, known for its vineyards and wineries. It’s a great place to sample local wines like Dingač and Plavac Mali.
3. Island Hopping
From Dubrovnik, you can easily reach several beautiful islands in the Adriatic Sea. These islands offer a different perspective on Croatia’s stunning coastline:
- Lokrum Island: Just a short ferry ride from Dubrovnik, Lokrum Island is a nature reserve with lush gardens, historic ruins, and the iconic Dead Sea, a saltwater lake ideal for swimming.
- Mljet Island: Known for its pristine beauty, Mljet is home to the stunning Mljet National Park, where you can explore saltwater lakes, dense forests, and the Benedictine monastery on St. Mary’s Island.
4. Day Trips
Dubrovnik serves as an excellent base for day trips to neighbouring cities and attractions:
- Cavtat: Located about 20 kilometres southeast of Dubrovnik, Cavtat is a charming coastal town with a picturesque harbour, a vibrant waterfront, and historical sites.
- Montenegro: Cross the border into Montenegro and visit the stunning Bay of Kotor, a UNESCO World Heritage Site known for its dramatic fjord-like scenery.
- Elaphiti Islands: A group of islands northwest of Dubrovnik, the Elaphiti Islands are perfect for a day of island hopping, swimming, and exploring charming villages.
5. Embrace the Local Cuisine
No trip to Dubrovnik is complete without savouring the local cuisine. Be sure to try:
- Seafood: Dubrovnik is renowned for its fresh seafood. Enjoy grilled fish, octopus salad, and black risotto, a dish made with cuttlefish ink.
- Peka: This traditional Croatian dish features meat and vegetables slow-cooked under an iron bell, resulting in tender and flavorful dishes.
- Dalmatian Prosciutto: Sample the local prosciutto, often served with cheese and olives, along with a glass of local wine.
With your rental car as your trusty companion, you have the freedom to explore Dubrovnik and its surroundings to the fullest. Whether you’re seeking coastal beauty, cultural immersion, or culinary delights, Dubrovnik and its neighbouring areas offer a diverse range of experiences. So, hop in your car and let the adventure begin!
Ready to Hit the Road in Dubrovnik?
With over 60,000 locations across 160 countries and 24/7 customer service, they are your trusted partner in car rentals. Their website is available in 43 languages, ensuring a seamless booking process no matter where you’re from.
Don’t miss out on the convenience and savings RentalCars.com can offer. Book your rental car in Dubrovnik today and make your Croatian adventure unforgettable!